, ,

Neshaminy Delays ‘All-In’ Reopening Plan Vote


The Neshaminy School Board meeting Tuesday evening.

Students in the Neshaminy School District will not be returning to classroom full time for a bit longer.

The Neshaminy School Board unanimously voted Tuesday evening to accept Superintendent Dr. Rob McGee’s recommendation to delay start if the “all-in” plan to bring students back in schools full time if they choose that route. Under the original plan considered, the all-in model would have begun November 2, but the delay means the soonest students could return to classrooms full-time would be November 30.

Advertisements


The school board is expected to make a final vote on returning elementary school students to classrooms in an expanded way at their November 10 meeting. The November 24 public meeting would allow the school board to look at the plan once again and make changes if needed.

The district returned students under a two day per week hybrid model earlier this month.

Credit: Neshaminy School District

McGee told the school board and public that moving the all-in return at the end of November would give the district more time to prepare and evaluate where COVID-19 case levels stand. Overall, the number of cases in the county are increasing.

Advertisements


The plan McGee laid out would have elementary school students returning first with older grades returning in the weeks after. Due to staff, the “all-in” option would have students come in Monday through Thursday and Fridays would remain virtual to start.

On returning elementary school students first, McGee said younger students have more trouble with remote learning than older kids, there are a smaller number of students in each elementary school, there is more room between desks, students can enjoy lunch in their classrooms, there has been a low number of COVID-19 cases among children under 10, and unlike older grades, students don’t change classrooms throughout the day.

Advertisements


McGee said administrators are working to remove logistical issues at the middle schools and high school, including less than 6 feet of distance for students. He said the administration is looking to recommend at a future meeting that middle and high school students return to classrooms by January or sooner.

Credit: Tom Sofield/LevittownNow.com

The all-in option would keep virtual learning an option for students who want to use it.

McGee said he hopes the school board is able to keep moving forward with returning students and that conditions allow it. He also warned against comparing return plans from other schools because circumstances are so different, but he said all the superintendents in the county discuss the situation regularly.

Advertisements


“It’s not a competition because we all have different circumstances,” he said.

“Everybody wants to get moving. However, it has to be done with purpose and it has to be strategic … We are moving forward, but it is going to take some baby steps. I would greatly appreciate your patience,” board member Cyndie Bowman said. “If we do it haphazardly, we’re going to fail.”

Advertisements



Board member Irene Boyle told parents the district is working to keep everyone healthy and out of the hospital as they look at returning students full time.

Credit: Tom Sofield/LevittownNow.com

“There isn’t a single person on this stage that doesn’t want all of our kids back and in person. But as some of us have alluded to, we’re in uncharted terrority,” board member Adam Kovitz said, adding the district is doing their best to make the situation work for students and parents.

Advertisements


Board President Steve Pirritano said the school board is “very vested” in the district and they want to kids back in classroom full time. He noted that administration feels they cannot return students full-time until at least November 30, and he supports their recommendation.

“As soon as we can figure out a way to have them come back in a safe way, it will be done,” he said.

Credit: Tom Sofield/LevittownNow.com
Advertisements


Jessica Brown, a Neshaminy student, told the board that virtual learning has been very hard for her. She said the start to the school year disappointed her because she couldn’t be with friends and her grades have suffered.

“I really hope we can go back to school full time. Not just for the students but for the parents,” she said.

Middletown Township parent Jennifer Brown, Jessica’s mother, said students should be returned full-time to schools and blamed the recent increase in cases on more testing. She said teachers are essential workers and students need them.

Advertisements


“I think if our kids aren’t going to get back to school, it is going to effective them big time,” she told the board.

Credit: Tom Sofield/LevittownNow.com

Kim Gorman, a resident of Middletown Township’s Levittown section, told the board students should be returned to classrooms full time and she has seen virtual learning hurt her kids.

Advertisements

“Their lives depend on it,” she said.

Prior to the meeting, a small group of district parents and students gathered outside of the administration building to call for a full reopening.

Report a correction via email | Editorial standards and policies



Report a correction via email | Editorial standards and policies