Langhorne Chief Honored for Helping Save ESPN Reporter

ESPN reporter and Middletown resident Phil Sheridan knows he wouldn’t be alive today if not for the quick actions of bystanders and first responders on March 11.

Phil Sheridan (left) as Chief Ste (center) was honored for saving his life. Credit: Tom Sofield/LevittownNow.com

Phil Sheridan (left) as Chief Steven Mawhinney (center) was honored for saving his life.
Credit: Tom Sofield/LevittownNow.com

Sheridan was on his normal three-mile jog when he fell to the ground just before crossing the Route 1 overpass on Hulmeville Road on the Langhorne Manor and Middletown border.

Within minutes, two local volunteer firefighters had pulled over along with about 8 others. The firefighters, a father and son team from Trevose Fire Company, had begun CPR on  Sheridan. A short time later, Langhorne Borough Police Chief Steven Mawhinney arrived after hearing the call on police radio.

The chief, who performed CPR, was followed by medics from the Penndel-Middletown Emergency Squad. The medics used their Automated External Defibrillator (AED) on Sheridan and rushed him to the hospital. An ambulance from Bensalem, members of the Middletown Township Fire Marshal’s office and firefighters from the Langhorne-Middletown Fire Company also helped at the scene.

On Wednesday night, Mawhinney was honored by Langhorne Borough Council for his heroic actions.

“Are you my jogger?” Mawhinney asked Sheridan outside the borough hall. It was the first time the two came together since Sheridan suffered what medical professionals called a “sudden cardiac death.”

“If they hadn’t been there I wouldn’t be here,” Sheridan said of the heroes that saved his life. The 50-year-old said not all of those who stopped to help have been identified.

Credit: Tom Sofield/LevittownNow.com

Bystanders medics and police helping Sheridan after he collapsed in March.
Credit: Tom Sofield/LevittownNow.com

Mawhinney was modest when asked about the event after the meeting and credited the bystanders and medics. “I performed CPR while [the medics] ran lines,” he said.

Sheridan’s wife Jenny said she was in Bristol Township when she got the call from St. Mary Medical Center that her husband of two years had collapsed.

“They said: ‘Please come. We don’t know what will happen tonight,” Jenny Sheridan said, adding that the hospital staff did great work.

Within 10 days and just out of a medically induced coma, Sheridan was conscious and talking with visitors.

Stephen Grosso, Sheridan’s neighbor and friend, said the community helped out around Sheridan’s house while he was hospitalized. Sheridan has lived in the borough for 17 years.

Sheridan, a former newspaper reporter who covers the Philadelphia Eagles for ESPN, said sudden cardiac death was caused by a problem with the electrical system that causes the heart to function and not a blockage. So far, Sheridan does not have any lasting effects from the incident, but he might be outfitted with a small defibrillator.

Sheridan, a father and step-father, said he is feeling good and plans to return to work in two weeks.

Related:

Tom Sofield

Tom Sofield has covered news in Bucks County for three years for both newspaper and online publications. In 2012, Tom was honored at the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association Foundation's Keystone Press Awards for his coverage of President Obama's visit to Falls Township in 2011. When he's not covering news in the area, Tom enjoys checking out the newest restaurants and bars, exploring forgotten places of industry in the area, going to local parks and spending time with his friends and family. If there's one thing you should know about Tom, he is a local news junkie through and through. Email: tom@levittownnow.com Phone: 215-431-1001

52 Comments

1. looky
    Aug 09, 2014 @ 02:39:48

could someone explain to me exactly how I would make money blogging?

2. cozy cove
    Aug 28, 2014 @ 19:27:46

The Silent Shard

This could possibly be quite practical for some of your respective positions I intend to don’t only with my weblog but

3. notepad bluebox
    Sep 02, 2014 @ 20:44:21

The Slave of the Husband

Looking for ahead to studying excess from you afterward!…

4. xlovecam generateur de credit
    Sep 08, 2014 @ 14:05:07

Third Flower

My spouse and i happen to be now delighted that Albert could execute his scientific studies as a consequence of the tips he had as a result of your web page. It really is on occasion perplexing to just usually be freely giving methods which lots of peo…

5. hearthstone arena guide
    Sep 08, 2014 @ 19:43:02

Third Flower

My spouse and that i are already now delighted that Albert could execute his studies due to the tips he had through your online page. It truly is now and again perplexing to simply often be gifting away measures which a number of people could have been…

6. banana blue
    Sep 10, 2014 @ 04:29:35

The Silent Shard

This will likely almost certainly be really valuable for many of your respective employment I intend to you should not only with my blog site but

7. separation agreement
    Sep 10, 2014 @ 09:15:30

Whispering Misty

So sorry you will miss the workshop!

8. Jogos de carros
    Sep 16, 2014 @ 19:23:35

Hi there,,

just became alert to your weblog through Google,.., and discovered that Yes it’s truly informative,,,. I’m going to watch out for brussels. I’ll be grateful should you continue this in future. Lots of men and women will probably be benefited from your…

9. Jogos de Tiro
    Sep 18, 2014 @ 21:42:12

thnx

Thank you for another great article. Where else could anybody get that kind of info in such a perfect way of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I’m on the look for such info.

10. view this post
    Sep 23, 2014 @ 18:20:21

The Silent Shard

This tends to almost certainly be fairly useful for some of your respective work opportunities I want to really don’t only with my blog site but

11. mytopbrokers.com
    Oct 05, 2014 @ 04:58:17

mytopbrokers.com

I must say, as a whole lot as I enjoyed reading what you had to say, I couldnt support but lose interest following a even though.

12. Homepage
    Oct 06, 2014 @ 07:29:04

… [Trackback]

[...] Read More: levittownnow.com/2014/05/15/langhorne-chief-honored-for-helping-save-espn-reporter/ [...]

13. sell phone
    Oct 07, 2014 @ 00:38:49

Third Flower

My spouse and i have been now delighted that Albert could perform his research because of the suggestions he had via your web page. It’s every so often perplexing to simply constantly be giving freely steps which lots of people could have been providi…

14. DeborahValdez-Hung
    Oct 07, 2014 @ 03:39:13

Top Fashion Blogs

I must say, as a good deal as I enjoyed reading what you had to say, I couldnt help but lose interest soon after a even though.

15. cerrajeros valencia capital
    Oct 07, 2014 @ 04:39:35

cerrajeros valencia

Its as if you had a great grasp on the subject matter, but you forgot to contain your readers.

16. alkaline water
    Oct 10, 2014 @ 03:47:00

The Ships’s Voyages

I think technological know-how just makes it even worse. Now there’s a channel to under no circumstances treatment, now there is not going to be considered a prospect for them to discover.

17. alkaline water
    Oct 10, 2014 @ 14:16:14

The Ships’s Voyages

I believe technological know-how just makes it worse. Now there is a channel to never ever treatment, now there will not likely become a possibility for them to find out.

18. gurtoertil
    Oct 11, 2014 @ 13:04:21

Superb website

[...]always a big fan of linking to bloggers that I love but don’t get a lot of link love from[...]…

19. Darian Braun Lawsuit
    Oct 12, 2014 @ 03:58:27

Whispering Misty

So sorry you’ll skip the workshop!

20. Darian Braun
    Oct 12, 2014 @ 16:11:33

The Silent Shard

This can most likely be rather beneficial for many of your respective work opportunities I want to never only with my blog site but

21. water ionizer
    Oct 13, 2014 @ 06:51:16

The Birch of the Shadow

I feel there may be a handful of duplicates, but an exceedingly handy checklist! I have tweeted this. Lots of thanks for sharing!

22. licensed money lenders
    Oct 13, 2014 @ 07:22:21

money lender

Consider adjusting your own believed process and giving others who might read this the benefit of the doubt.

23. water ionizer
    Oct 13, 2014 @ 19:58:06

Woman of Alien

Perfect do the job you have carried out, this great site is de facto interesting with excellent info. Time is God’s way of preserving every thing from going on at the same time.

24. Precor
    Oct 14, 2014 @ 03:41:01

good Precor treadmills

I’ve got some ongoing tasks and I wanted all these students help me with it.

25. kangen water
    Oct 15, 2014 @ 13:46:29

Souls in the Waves

Excellent Morning, I just stopped in to go to your web site and thought I’d say I liked myself.

26. Network Marketing tips
    Oct 15, 2014 @ 14:01:15

best network marketing tips

I must say, as a whole lot as I enjoyed reading what you had to say, I couldnt assist but lose interest soon after a whilst.

27. oak coffee table
    Oct 16, 2014 @ 21:42:04

oak dining sets

I must say, as a good deal as I enjoyed reading what you had to say, I couldnt support but lose interest following a although.

28. printer cartridges
    Oct 17, 2014 @ 08:31:36

printer cartridges

Think about adjusting your personal believed approach and giving others who may read this the benefit of the doubt.

29. bail bonds orange county ca
    Oct 18, 2014 @ 01:26:12

Langhorne Chief Honored for Helping Save ESPN Reporter – LevittownNow.com

{Please click the following link to get more details and info about orange county bail bonds. Visit our website now. Don’t miss this wonderful chance to explore more about this topic.

30. www.explainitvideos.com
    Oct 18, 2014 @ 05:57:07

Langhorne Chief Honored for Helping Save ESPN Reporter – LevittownNow.com

Don’t skip this wonderful chance to explore much more regarding explain it.

31. gmailç correo electrónico
    Oct 20, 2014 @ 02:57:51

Langhorne Chief Honored for Helping Save ESPN Reporter – LevittownNow.com

Don’t skip this wonderful chance to explore much more regarding navegador de gmailç.

32. best bottled water
    Oct 20, 2014 @ 12:12:04

The Slave of the Husband

Trying to find forward to researching added from you afterward!…

33. Transform Your Leftovers
    Oct 23, 2014 @ 05:33:09

… [Trackback]

[...] Informations on that Topic: levittownnow.com/2014/05/15/langhorne-chief-honored-for-helping-save-espn-reporter/ [...]

34. Dutch Glow
    Oct 23, 2014 @ 06:16:51

Langhorne Chief Honored for Helping Save ESPN Reporter – LevittownNow.com

Make sure you click the following website link to have more particulars and info about Dutch Glow. Pay a visit to our web site now. Don’t miss this amazing chance to explore more about this matter.

35. lenceria sexy
    Oct 24, 2014 @ 04:31:44

lenceria sexy

I ought to say, as a whole lot as I enjoyed reading what you had to say, I couldnt assist but shed interest following a whilst.

36. credit repair
    Oct 25, 2014 @ 07:16:01

Langhorne Chief Honored for Helping Save ESPN Reporter – LevittownNow.com

I highly recommend you click on credit repair services to obtain additional particulars and information on this particular subject matter.

37. credit repair companies
    Oct 25, 2014 @ 07:47:15

Langhorne Chief Honored for Helping Save ESPN Reporter – LevittownNow.com

I highly recommend you click on the subsequent back link to learn more specifics as well as information on credit repair companies . Have a look at our webpage right now. Don’t skip this terrific opportunity to discover more this field.

38. repair credit
    Oct 25, 2014 @ 10:40:36

Langhorne Chief Honored for Helping Save ESPN Reporter – LevittownNow.com

Although surfing internet We accidently determined credit repair letters and that i reccommend this to absolutely everyone.

39. cheap internet
    Oct 26, 2014 @ 11:25:20

satellite internet company

Perhaps you must consider this from far much more than 1 angle.

40. bad credit car loans
    Oct 27, 2014 @ 09:05:45

Langhorne Chief Honored for Helping Save ESPN Reporter – LevittownNow.com

{Please click the following link to get more details and info about auto finance. Visit our website now. Don’t miss this wonderful chance to explore more about this topic.

41. Carlsbad Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
    Oct 28, 2014 @ 00:46:21

Thorn of Girl

Excellent info may be identified on this internet blogging site.

42. 24 hour locksmith
    Oct 28, 2014 @ 03:19:09

Langhorne Chief Honored for Helping Save ESPN Reporter – LevittownNow.com

Although surfing internet We accidently determined 24 hour locksmith and that i reccommend this to absolutely everyone.

43. black hair extensions
    Oct 28, 2014 @ 04:57:11

Langhorne Chief Honored for Helping Save ESPN Reporter – LevittownNow.com

{Please click the following hyperlink to get more details and info about best hair extensions. Check out our website now. Don’t miss this fantastic chance to explore more about this subject.

44. yellow october
    Oct 28, 2014 @ 19:20:29

The Ships’s Voyages

I believe technological innovation just causes it to be worse. Now there’s a channel to under no circumstances care, now there is not going to be considered a likelihood for them to find.

45. broadband internet
    Oct 29, 2014 @ 01:10:17

Langhorne Chief Honored for Helping Save ESPN Reporter – LevittownNow.com

Please click cheap internet services to get more details and info about this subject.

46. cheap car insurance quotes
    Oct 29, 2014 @ 03:06:51

Langhorne Chief Honored for Helping Save ESPN Reporter – LevittownNow.com

Please click cheap auto insurance to get more details and info about this topic.

47. microlending
    Oct 29, 2014 @ 07:24:45

Langhorne Chief Honored for Helping Save ESPN Reporter – LevittownNow.com

{Please click the following hyperlink to get more details and info about small business startup loans bad credit. Check out our website now. Don’t miss this fantastic chance to explore more about this subject.

48. debt consolidation company
    Oct 30, 2014 @ 00:53:22

Langhorne Chief Honored for Helping Save ESPN Reporter – LevittownNow.com

I have discovered best debt consolidation companies useful and that i believe you will love it.

49. comparing credit cards
    Oct 30, 2014 @ 02:42:48

Langhorne Chief Honored for Helping Save ESPN Reporter – LevittownNow.com

Shouldn’t miss out fantastic possible opportunity to check out a lot more related to low apr credit cards.

50. phone services
    Oct 30, 2014 @ 05:29:46

Langhorne Chief Honored for Helping Save ESPN Reporter – LevittownNow.com

Make sure you click phone services to obtain more particulars and info about this matter.

51. Metabolic Cooking diet
    Oct 30, 2014 @ 09:33:50

Metabolic Cooking diet

[...]Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine some unrelated information, nonetheless truly worth taking a look, whoa did one master about Mid East has got much more problerms too [...]

52. home security system
    Oct 30, 2014 @ 10:06:27

Langhorne Chief Honored for Helping Save ESPN Reporter – LevittownNow.com

Make sure you click the following website link to have more particulars and info about security system. Pay a visit to our web site now. Don’t miss this amazing chance to explore more about this matter.